Friday, August 14, 2009

The new topic- do you use or abstain?

Recently I found myself defending my "social network" world to one of my colleagues. He claimed that I was the queen of media social networking because I am on Facebook AND(GASP)have a blog. His view was why do we care what others are doing? Why do we care if a person we have not spoken to in 10 years is playing outside with their kids or "excited its Friday". At first I was noticeably irritated and wanted to go on the defense. Then I was questioning myself, why do I care? My next thought was he needs to mind his own business. Back again to why do I care?

First off I love the fact that you can talk to people without having to always have the awkward conversation,"So, what are you doing now days?" Good news you can check it out on Facebook. For those that know me well it is no secret that I have very little patience for small talk that is not going anywhere or doesn't have a purpose. Please Mr. Cashier give me my change and let me go.

Secondly, even thought I don't like small talk I LOVE to socialize. It is the best of both worlds. With Facebook you can say your peace and move on. Besides working at a desk job all day without some sort of break in the day with useless information may just someday kill me.

Third, I love to blog. Don't care if I am a mom nerd. It is therapy for me and beneficial to my husband and children that I have an outlet to a community that gets me. Well maybe not gets me but can relate to situations in my life. Whether you all know it you have been great in giving advice, sharing opinions, or just making me laugh which in itself is worth it to me.

So my point is I am going to stand loud and proud because I admit it, I am a social networker and don't give a damn who knows it. Call me what you like but be careful because I may just share it on Facebook or my blog. P.S. MYOB

8 comments:

TBRKO said...

I would bet big money that I can guess who said that to you. Am I right?

Unknown said...

Right on sister!

ABCDH said...

Some people are just "too cool."
I am not one of those people.

Unknown said...

Too cool is right...but they will also tell you that they know what is going on with people because all of their friends are on FB...it's so funny because in the office 90% of our staff is on FB. I still love the other 10% but c'mon-get with the times people!

TBRKO said...

I think that it's the whole judging thing. We all judge. I am certainly a judgemental person according to my facebook quiz!
But, for I also find it funny that some people disagree with small talk, don't care what people are doing, etc, but are very VERY willing to spew their own opinions about things as if WE all care.
Whatever!

TBRKO said...

Okay so just last night was the first time I got a little grief for the blogging thing...from Thad's uncle and aunt who I have met only a couple times. grrr.

Unknown said...

I really don't understand why people feel warranted to have an opinion when it does not affect them in any respect?

Erin said...

Here's a random thought: if it weren't for blogging,
1. I wouldn't even know you, and
2. we wouldn't have inherited our lovable Lola.

Thanks for blogging, Melissa!