Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I sent this to OTMOM practical gifts contest...

It was the first Christmas that my husband Erik and I had spent in our new house. He had been bragging about this wonderful Christmas present he got me that he knew that I would love. Our friends AJ and Bill were over and we were on our way out for a pre-holiday party. Erik decides that he is going to give me one of my gifts early which is typical because he always caves. I am thinking it must be really good because he is really excited. Let me preface this by saying my husband truly is one of the nicest guys I know and he would never do anything to deliberately hurt me or make me feel bad. I open this gorgeous gift with eager anticipation. My excitement turns to horror in seconds because sitting on my lap is….a scale!! Yep, a nice shiny silver digital scale-once of those fancy and expensive ones that tells your BMI, etc. I burst into tears, our friends are dying because they don’t know if they should laugh or cry with me, and Erik is horrified. He follows it up by telling me that he thought I wanted this because I had pointed out the nice, digital scales at Target. Yep, my husband bought me a scale. He will NEVER live it down.

3 comments:

ABCDH said...

I am laughing all over again reading this!
Hands down, one of the FUNNIEST scenes I have ever witnessed.
Erik was so proud and you were so PISSED!
I wanted you not to be sad because his intentions were clearly good, but I totally and completely understood the way you felt.
Men.

TBRKO said...

That is awesome.
I can't even think of anything Thad has given me like that. My mother on the other hand gave me knives two years in a row for xmas. While they are useful items, who the hell wants to open a knife? Or a scale?

Erin said...

LMAO!!! Too funny! Thad is a gem among men, by the way. Kris, whom I love dearly, will never live down our first Valentine's Day as a married couple. I spent the day making a hand-decorated card with a heartfelt message, which I lovingly placed right where he would see it. He comes home from work and says, "I was going to buy you a card, but then I thought we could just go to that new Brady Bunch Movie you've been wanting to see on Friday night." Um, it was Tuesday when this occurred. And no, I did NOT want a plain ol' movie date as my Valentine's Day gift!