Friday, June 25, 2010
Potty training...please remind me.
So, if your child tells you they are pooping and runs up to tell you that they need to be changed, does that mean it is potty training time?
Anthony was a hard nut to crack when it came to potty training. He was 3 when it was all said and done. At night he still wears pull ups because of potential accidents. His doctor told me not to be concerned until he is 6. Well he is 6 so I think it is up for some discussion at his next appointment. She did tell me that boys do generally take longer to train so I was surprised with Alex's poopy antics lately.
Potty training is not one of my favorites. The number one reason why is the commitment it takes on everyones part to get started. As a working mom you have to make sure your daycare provider is on board. You have to take initiative to ask sixty times a day,"Do you have to go potty?" You have to be prepared for accidents and doing an extra load of laundry a day. You also have to admit that your baby is no longer a baby but a full forced toddler ready to take the universe by storm. Probably the one that is the hardest for me because that leads into do we go for number three? A whole other conversation in its self.
So ladies, this is where you come in. Do I start out with the training pants? Do I start out slowly and ease him into them or do we say bon voyage to the diapers all together and just go full throttle for the big boy pull ups? I cannot really remember what we did with Anthony. All I remember is the frustration and triumph when he decided it was time not to poop in the pants and only the potty. That was a great day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hmmm....that's a tough one. Did he just turn two? I can't remember exactly how old he is. I'm a huge believer in kids will do it when they're ready. I think starting before they are ready just leads to us banging our heads against the walls. It does sound like he is showing some signs of being ready though. What I would probably do is put him in underwear for a few days and see what happens. If it seems to click a little surge forward....if he pees on the floor for three days....go back to diapers!
Good luck. Potty training is a beast.
I agree - put him in his undies (at the lake on the weekend when he's outside might be less stressful) and see what happens. I really do prefer the kids to be older when they train because then they can actually do some of the work themselves.
Post a Comment