Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thinks that make you go hmmm....


Look at how teeny tiny Alex is in that picture. It is one of my all time favorite pictures because he is only about 3 months old and look at those boobies. How can you not love them? 

When we had Alex I desperately wanted to get pregnant. We tried for a couple years after Anthony and it just was not happening. Eventually I went to see a fertility specialist and we were very lucky to get pregnant in one month. Dr. Christianson said we should be the poster child for infertility.

My pregnancy with him was great. I felt great, I really enjoyed the pregnancy until the 10th month because I had wanted it so bad. I could tell in-utero he was going to be laid back because he barely moved. After delivery we figured out why, he was an ounce shy of being 9 lbs. He was also a very pretty baby. Nice clear skin with a wild thick mane of hair. Every single one of the nurses that we had told me that they don't say it to everyone but he was a pretty baby. I agreed. 

In the hospital the experience with Alex was different than with Anthony. With Anthony I labored for 30 hours followed by a c-section. With Alex it was already planned so I was rested. I was ready to snuggle him, hold him, and feed him. I decided to breastfeed with him. When everyone would leave at night I would lay him on my bed and just stare at him, I was so grateful. He was mine.

Erik and I had resigned to the fact that it was the four of us, especially due to us having to go the extra measure with Alex. I sometimes long for a third but was content with our dynamic.

This past weekend that all changed. I realize it is early to share but since pretty much everyone and their brother already knows.... drum-roll please....we are pregnant!

The past couple of weeks I have been very emotional. Looking back tired and craving dairy, fruit, and veggies. I am very irregular so if I do not get my period that does not concern me. But since we were co-hosting a Christmas party on Saturday I thought I would just double check. Both tests turned blue before I peed on them. It was instant. I am pretty positive I know when it happened and by my calculations I am only about 6 weeks. Unfortunately all of our friends know too well that if I am not in the thick of things with the drinking games I am either terminally ill or pregnant. The banked on the latter.

I told my mom and she has sent a telegram to my huge family so everyone is aware. I understand there is still a risk of miscarriage but we have a great support system either way so at this point we might as well let the flood gates open. 

So today I will be going in to have my levels checked to make sure everything looks normal. With Alex there were some concerns so I had to be put on progesterone. I am tired, my boobs hurt really bad, and every day  I am feeling better about it. Especially when I see pictures like the one above.

6 comments:

TBRKO said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH Melissa I am so happy for you! As I began reading this, I thought to myself...oh I remember those moments with that second child. I wish they would have another. And look what I read! Wow.
Someone once told me something that I will never, ever forget: You will never regret having another child. Ever. You may regret not, but never that you did.
Congrats my dear. I wish I could give you a big hug that would make your boobs hurt more!. :)

Vicky said...

Ohhhh Congrats!! That is awesome news and I am glad you shared here or I would not have known :) That photo of Alex is breathtaking... I totally see his cuteness, and can't wait to share in this journey with you!

Kris said...

So excited for you and yes, we all wouldve known the second we saw you drinking water. It's ok though...I think I drank enough for both of us! :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats again! What a great lead-in to the announcement...God has a plan for Mr. and Mrs. Tortorice!

See you next weekend, Amy

darcie said...

wow! How exciting!
I'm thrilled for you - (and maybe a teeny tiny bit jealous!) ;)
Congratulations!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I had to have daily progesterone injections my first trimester when I was pregnant with Laura. Not fun but SO worth it!

Have a great Christmas and tell your family I say hi!

Aimee